Saturday, February 26, 2011

Secret

I am going to tell you something that I have never told anyone. I kept it as my own little torment during my pregnancy with Sam. Here it goes:
When I was prego with Sammy I had a couple ultrasounds done. At my 20 week one I got a couple pictures, one being a profile. When everyone else looked at them they said the "oohhs" and "aahhhs" that they always do, but no one saw what I saw in the profile picture. She had a BEAK! A horrible, terrible beak! Like a bird! DIDN'T ANYONE ELSE SEE IT! Now I realize that that was wrong, I can look at it now and see that it was not a beak, (even though if you look at it right, it does still sort of look like it). But I, in my irrational, hormone imbalanced, crazy pregnancy brain could not be talked out of it. I asked my doctor, she said it was her hand. Her hand?! It was clearly not her hand, the doctor had to be wrong. I non-chalantly brought it up to Jim, he laughed and said he didn't see what I saw. HOW COULD YOU NOT SEE IT! Our child had a beak! I would lay awake at night, pacing the floor and watching tv to try and get my mind off of it. What had a I done wrong? Did I eat to many sunflower seeds? (for real, I really thought that) Did I sleep wrong?! Had I wronged a bird goddess who then cursed me and the child i was carrying and my child would then have to someday find someone to love her for her inner beauty and then upon their first kiss she would turn into a princess! (ok,not so much this one, but if pregnancy lasted 10 months instead of 9, I am sure i would have gotten to this one (and really believed it)). I was distraught. I knew i was being crazy, but let me tell you something, pregnancy brain messes you up! I never ate laundry detergent or paper or anything (That's something they ask pregnant women a lot...who knew!), But I worried. When Sam was wborn I actually looked at her faces and thought "oh thank goodness". My sister came in the room, held her and said "well, she has ten toes and ten fingers" and in my mind I thought, " and no beak!"
Looking at Sammy now, you never would have guessed the torment of a crazy pregant lady. She is adorable and funny...come to think of it...she's been squacking lately...i'm sure it's nothing...
......(some back stories to the start and reason for my irrational thinking to come)

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Hee heeee hee! This is one of my favorite posts ever. Ha! I can TOTALLY see myself doing that sort of thing when I'm prego someday!! I over think things now, I'll definitely do it more with all those hormones raging! I'm glad Sammy doesn't have a beak!! Though I'm sure if she did, she'd still be super-cute!! Did you ever see that movie about the girl with the pig snout? "Penelope," I think? Cute movie!! (I'm not implying Sammy has a pig snout!! Your bird-to-princess theory made me think of it.) Good post! :)

Elizabeth Downie said...

Hahaha, that is too funny!!!

If she does turn into a bird, she will seriously be the cutest bird around. I love that little chickadee. ;)