Friday, October 11, 2013

72 hour kits

I have been having this feeling lately like I need to be more prepared for emergency's. We have always tried to have our food storage for 3 months (sometimes we do, sometimes we don't, depending on money) but i've never really had 72 hour kits ready by the door. Now I am doing it. I have read about a zillion blogs and articles on the subject, I have studied lists and googled items and found that there are a lot of different things you can put in them. I am starting small. I have a long list of things that will be put in each bag but with limited money right now I am starting with a few things a week and then going from there.
My 72 kits are going into individual backpacks.  One for each person in the family. They are at the top of the front closet. I know in Michigan we don't have an abundance of natural disasters or emergency's. Hurricane's, Forest fires, tornado's (not like tornado valley), earthquakes, mud slides, sunami's..etc. My sister did point out that we have snow storms though. So if nothing else, I will be prepared for that.  I started with some food. That's what I worked on this week:


Here is what all of our packs look like with the food in front of them. I only had 3 backpacks for now so the other two are duffel bags. I will eventually get backpacks so they are easier for each person to carry. 


Each pack has:
*4 - 8oz bottles of water. They say you should have a gallon of water, per person, per day and I have a lot more but just for now I feel like more water would weigh the kids down in an emergency. I plan on putting more water in as they get bigger. 
*3 Granola Bars
*2 Packs of Instant Oatmeal
*2 Small packages of crackers
*1 Can on Mini ravioli
*1 Breakfast Bar
*1 (2 in the kids) thing of On the go peanut butter
*Applesauce Pouch
*2 Fruit Snacks
*1 Bowl of Instant Ramen soup
*1 can of veggies 
*In Jim's a my bags we each have a large can of fruit


Let me add this thought: While looking through all the suggestions for what to put in these kits there were a lot of things my kids don't like and would never eat and/or can't eat that you, yourself, could add. Things like Trail mix, Packages of tuna, beef jerkey, dried fruit and so on. 
















Packed like a boss. 

BAM!



In the next few weeks I will be working on the next phase. I have already bought a lot for it but need a few more things! 

No comments: