Thursday, January 27, 2011

Parting Glass

When I was pregnant with Paige I woke up with a song in my head,(we did not have a radio at the time and no tv was on) I'm not really sure where the song came from, but all I could remember from my dream was the tune. I couldn't figure out where I had heard the song before, but it sounded familiar. But alas, i had no words and Jim had never heard of it. I would hum it to paige when she was baby though.
Years later, Jim and I are watching the movie "Waking Ned Devine" and WHAM! There's the song!!! With Words!! I learned the words and could now sing the complete song to my kids, which I did. It was the only thing for a few weeks that would get Ethan to sleep. I have always loved it, but since they got a bit older I haven't sung it much. I actually forgot about it, till this week, when it got in my head again. It soothes my soul. Maybe because it's from Scotland (said to have been written as early as 1605 as a poem..I did some research..that's how much i love this song), I'm not really sure, but I know that I love it and will always love it.
It's called "Parting Glass". There are tons of good versions, but I really like this one by the 'High Kings'.


2 comments:

Katherine said...

Way to give me goosebumps, High Kings! It's so beautiful!! When the bagpipes came in I got all sorts of misty-eyed! Sigh. Thank you for sharing!

~ Malissa ~ said...

I've never heard this song before, but it's exactly what I needed to help get me the urge to crawl back into bed for a cozy slumber. Thanks for posting it!!