Sunday, March 15, 2009


When do we know our kids are safe? Let me tell you, I am an pretty overprotective Mom. Over the last couple years of having kids and different furniture I've had/have plug protectors, baby gates, things to cover the water faucet in the tub,duckies that tell you when the water in the tub is too hot,locks on the toilets,none slip stickies in the tub, padding for the edges of corners and tables, alarms on the kids bedroom windows, hooks on dressers to attach them to the wall so they can't fall on the kids, door stoppers so you can't pinch fingers, door hooks so the kids can't shut the doors at all, latches on all the cabinets and cupboards..the lost goes on. It really does..i have done so much it would drive Jim crazy at times. And yet..today..I failed.
The family is home with a sinus cold of sorts so Samantha and I were asleep, Paige and Ethan were in the living room watching TV and Jim had gone downstairs. I wake up to Jim screaming that he can't find the kids and that the front door was open, so I run out in the living room. he's yelling for the kids out the door. Luckily they come in. They had decided that they wanted to go outside and play. Paige in her pj's, Ethan with just a shirt and underwear on.
Unbelievable.
Here's where I thought I was OK. I had had my Dad come over one night when Jim was working nights and he put chains on the doors as an added security from burglars. I also thought it would be good since the kids couldn't reach it.
Well, now I know that Paige can with a stool from the bathroom. That's how she did it. She also had to unlock the screen door that I didn't realize she could.
What an awakening.
How easily this could happen any time. I leave the kids upstairs all the time, if I have to go downstairs to do laundry, or clean or maybe just watch a different show than them.
Neadless to say, Jim's going to move the chain up to the top of the door and tomorrow i am going to buy those ding dong things that goes off when you open the doors or maybe something else. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty scary!

Katherine said...

Shee-ai-ai! That's scary! I think maybe laser beams are a good option. And three-headed guard dogs. And a giant chess set, some devil's snare, a logic problem using potions, as well as the Mirror of Erised. Wait...I think I may have read about those things somewhere...

Stabenow7 said...

Holy Crapola that is so freaking scary I hear ya I have those plastic door knobs on the front and back door (i don't think the kids really relize we have a back door.).. anyway they can open the door with those silly contraptions, so I dead bolt and lock the door knob under the plastic thingy not that they can not unlock and lock the door themselves! kids are way way way to crafty!!!!
how about putting a shocking system on the door that shocks them when they open it bigger than there head to peek out??? just a suggestion LOL

I am so kidding!