Friday, June 19, 2009

Ma'am

What makes you feel old? I'd like to know. I'm only 26 years old, and I would think that that is young and I'm sure when I'm older i'll look back on this entry and think how naieve and stupid i was..But i felt old the other day..I'm talking really old. I had done some grocery shopping and was checking out when the bag boy, who was probably in his latter years of high school said, "Have a good day Ma'am" WHAT! Ma'am. Now I'm sure he was just being nice and polite and his momma raised him right..i get that..My own children call me ma'am when they're in trouble. I don't know how to describe it. I just felt a little eelllkkkk feeling. So i'd like to know, what makes you all feel old? Any experiences that you've had please let me know so i can start to feel better as i read and laugh and thrive on your pain. (I'm not really that cruel, i was kidding..a little)

7 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

The fact that my youngest sister has three kids makes me feel old, since you asked (haha!). :)

Don't worry, you're still a spring chick. The kid was probably just taught to call everyone older than him ma'am.

Michelle Williams said...

My 10 year old grand daughter makes me feel old when I watch her do gynmastics or well anything physical. She is sooo strong,fleet, graceful and light on her feet! So not fair!

Katherine said...

Yeah, I agree with E's comment. Also, my creaky knees, the bags under my eyes, the tendonitis in my wrists, the fact that I can feel bad weather in my arm where I broke it... I'm old...feeling.

David and Linda said...

The fact that I graduated from high school 41 years ago makes me feel old. And when people your age at church call me Sister Downie. Oh the humanity!!

The Boyds said...

I am feeling your pain. Tyler was talking to insurance the other day and was telling them our age. He told them I was 29 and I got really upset with him. How dare he say I'm 29! (I'm thinking I'm 28) So he gets off the phone and helps me do the math and sure enough I am 29. Lost a year of my life just like that. You know you are old when you can't even remember your own age. Hope you enjoyed!

Polly Anna said...

I don't like being called Mrs. Egan or Sister Egan. I'm Polly. That makes me feel old

Giandrea said...

I'm with the not remembering my age. i always thought that was a big act people put on and now I often cannot remember and have to figure it out by my birth year.