Thursday, September 24, 2009

I need help

I need help. People have been saying that we smell.our clothes smell. This has been happening for a while now and I have tried everything. And i mean everything. I've changed laundry detergents 5 times. Tide, All, Cheer, dollar store brand and now Gain. I've tried different kinds of dryer sheets, i've actually cleaned my washer and dryer. I empyt my dryer shoot everytime i do laundry. I've tried Potpourri in the closets and drawers. I've tried candles, Glade plugin's and airwick plug ins in every room. I've even tried these things that you pull open and they slowly dwindle down to nothing and last about a month. Those are currently in every closet and bedroom...All different kinds and smells. I've tried scrubbing the floors and walls and using Febreeze all over the house. I've used carpet cleaners, carpet deoderizers, floor cleaners, lysol sprays, perfumes. We all bathe every day. We have good hygeine. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?! I need ideas. I'm at a loss. I'm tired of apparently smelling bad, busting by butt every day to keep us from smelling "bad" or "weird" and then being told we still smell. I'm tired of crying about it. It kills me to think that my kids might get teased because of said smell. I'm tired of staying up till 1 or 2 in the morning after everyone is asleep so that i can clean and scrub floor and what not so that we don't smell. I'm just tired. Please help. Any idea is a good one. I think I'm getting an ulcer.

10 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

Ok, first of all, you guys don't smell. I've held your kids a million times, and hugged them two million types (approximately) and I've NEVER thought they smelled bad (unless they had a dirty diaper). Which could mean two things:

1) I smell too, so I am immune to their "bad" smell, or

2) They don't smell bad. Maybe it's just kids being jerks, teasing and stuff - but there's no truth to it!!

Who is saying that?!

Jodi said...

I did not notice any bad smells at your house when I was there! Just have confidence that you really do not smell and ignore what other people are saying. Your confidence will rub off on your kids and they will just think other kids are crazy if they ever say they smell. I remember once a kid telling me I smell bad in like, sixth grade and I totally knew he was just being a jerk. I think it hurt for maybe a minute and then I probably came home and told my mom and she said that kid was just being a jerk, and I didn't believe him, I believed my mom.

Elizabeth Downie said...

That's good advice, Jodi! :)

Anonymous said...

I believed I smelled from '96-April 2009. I agree w/ Jodi. It was confidence I needed.

Elizabeth Downie said...

Also, if it's adults telling you you smell bad, you should ask them nicely to cut it out. Maybe you should add that their hair looks bad. (kidding!)

alecia said...

I have never smelled a bad smell at your house or on you or your kids. Ever. That's just weird that people are saying that. I totally understand the stress of cleaning all the time...I'll tell you about mine when you come over tomorrow...maybe. I'm tearing up just thinking about it. Ugh.

Have you tried baking soda to absorb odor? It also curbs itching bites when you put it in your bath water. I'm currently in love with baking soda. The end.

Katherine said...

I agree with all of what's been said! You guys smell like sunshine and daisies! I think that the people who told you you smell are actually the ones who smell - since you smell differently from them, they think it's you...but it's them!! Don't worry about it any more - And if they say anything again, I agree with E's bad hair comeback, or you could use the old "I'm rubber, you're glue" adage.

Giandrea said...

I've heard that smells people have are a lot about pheromones (do you remember the psychology experiment people did about it in highschool?). People you are not genetically compatible with think you smell bad while others don't smell a thing. In summary... never have any kids with the accuser and relax because you're never going to get them to change their genes.

Stabenow7 said...

maybee it is all the things you are using not to sell? Lol just kidding People are dumb. you swelled fine to me last sunday! try having 2 dogs and a cat on top of your 3 kids now that would smell. wanna test it b4 you try it? just come on over to my crib! LOL j/k well not really/........

Anonymous said...

I've never been in your house, so I don't know about any smells - good or bad.
But, maybe all of the different air freshners are overkill? Or, if you have a front loading washing machine, check out the bacteria cleaner that Tide makes to specifically clean the front loaders. I've seen it in the laundry section at Lowe's, but haven't seen it at any normal groceries.
I know some people have better noses than others. Some people can pick up on certain things, that the rest of us don't realize.
You never know - maybe it is just dust mites or even the smell of your water that is triggering. Some people can notice the odor of water from house to house across towns. Weird?
Finally, maybe you should give those people close pins to wear on their noses when they visit. If they say it hurts their noses, then tell them they hurt your feelings - touche!

Elisabeth (Bailey) Jensen