Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Happy Birthdays and Hospitals

Well, today was Samantha's 1st birthday. And what a day it was. Let me start at the begining. Paige had a doctors appointment scheduled for 8 am. At 3:30 am. Ethan woke up throwing up. He threw up about 7 times and since he had had the flu earlier last week we decided to bring him with us to the doctors. The doctor said she thought it might be appendicitis and that she wanted us to take him to St. Joes in Ann Arbor to the Pediatric ER . Jim stayed with him while I took the girls shopping ( we went to Borders and got Ethan a Pirate book ..eye patch, pirate hat and sound making sword included) and to Grandma Connie's. They did tests on his urine, blood, x-rays, gave him an IV of fluids, had him jump around a little bit and decided it was just this evil flu virus rearing it's ugly head again in this sweet little boy. Bad flu..BAD!So here we are, pumping him full of fluids, trying to sing happy birthday to samantha, while also trying to lysol the house every 3-8 minutes so that the rest of us don't get this bug and doing endless amounts of laundry since the kid either pukes or touched everything (i'm not taking chances, if he was in the same room with it, it's getting washed...carebears included). Samantha fell asleep in the car while her and I went to go buy more lysol and air freshners, Paige fell asleep in my bed and Ethan just zonked out on the couch.. So here I sit, on Sammy's 1st birthday, typing this in the dark, using a flashlight and trying to fold laundry at the same time. All in all...it was a day we'll never forget and Samantha will probably never remember. Except by the pictures i took of her eating a cupcake and opening her presents from Ethan and Paige.
(by the way, his hand in bandaged in a picture becasue they left his IV in in case he needed to go back to the hospital for more fluids)











3 comments:

Elizabeth Downie said...

I love those kids so much! I was so upset all day yesterday thinking about my little nephew in a hospital being poked and prodded. I am going to give him the biggest hug when I see him next!! I can't believe Samantha is ONE! She looks SO cute in those pictures. I'm going through withdrawal. I haven't seen those kids in way too long. I'm so glad Ethan is ok!!

Stabenow7 said...

Aww I am crying over here!!! I feel so bad that you guy's (excpecially Ethan ) had to go through this! I am glad he is doing better! lots of hugs and kisses coming your way!!!!!

Katherine said...

Poor little Ethan Monster! Those kids are SOOOOOOO CUUUUTE! Love 'em!!