Monday, February 25, 2013

Samantha



Sometimes when I’m sitting holding Samantha I just start crying. We were sitting at a friends daughters Baptism last week and she was in my lap and I just started crying. Again today I did and have quite a few other times before this. I feel this overwhelming sense of relief that she is still here.  Relief that I can hold her whenever I want.  And a sense of grief for a friend who can no longer hold her 4 year old. No longer kiss her head and hold her close to her. I find that since Eslyn died I hug my children more. I hold them more. I take mental snapshots of each moment more. When they climb into my lap I try to cherish that moment and be in the moment, not take these things for granted. I feel another sense of loss though for Samantha. Eslyn was such a good friend and such a sweet spirit that I would sometimes think about how glad I was that Sam had her as a friend. A friend who she could grow in the church with. A friend with the same standards and morals that she could be around.  A friend who, so clearly, had a love for Christ and the gospel. At 4 years old  she was such a bright star in her faith in Christ. I was so glad that Sam had her as a friend. It gave me comfort. Now I hope that Sam has a cheerleader on the other side. Someone who is cheering her on in faith. Maybe having been earthly friends they might have a more powerful bond. I hope that Sam can hold onto that as she get’s older. I hope that she can feel her friend rooting her on from the other side as she grows her testimony.

2 comments:

violet50 said...

Great sentiments, Heather! I experienced something similar when my sister Pam died so young and then my dad so soon afterward. I think that since then I've tried not to take anyone for granted. Samantha is a cheerleader, herself, and I can see her in school, being a good friend to those in her classes.

Heather said...

Since Eslyn passed away I've thought and read a lot about the spirit world. Sometimes I feel guilty that I didn't think about it more before. All those spirits are very much a part of our lives, but since we can't see them, we don't think about it. But I've realized how much those in the spirit world do help us. I'm sure Eslyn is cheering Samantha on and that there will be a big hug waiting for Samantha, 80 or 90 years from now. :)